Friday, March 5, 2010

Lauren Ferry "okt-ober dee"

The weekend before last my hubby and I went away to Geelong, Victoria. We spent our day walking everywhere. I noticed a little board out the front of an arcade inviting us in to have a look. The name of the shop was "Herman Huckleferry and the oddities factory" which was enough to grab our attention. Well, it was a real find! I fell in love with everything in the tiny shopfront. Gorgeous handsewn owls (one I dropped as I was so excited, a little embarrassed by that one), Stunning silver necklaces with pencil shaving charms and the work of Lauren Ferry. She's the owner of the little shop and has her own label "okt-ober dee". This gal is AMAZING. She was in the process of packing up goodies for Life Insyle which included her bespoke bags, so scrummy!!!

I had to get something. I desperately wanted one of her birdie porcelain saucer cutouts (they were to die for) But I was drawn to this little fellow......




Isn't he divine? (Yes he is a boy, I have named him Wentworth). Check out the way he was wrapped up for me. So simple and so lovely!

Now the funny thing about this post is that when I sat down with my cuppa to read my blogs this morning, I noticed that Lisa from the red thread had written about Lauren too! How funny! Lisa's blog is a treasure trove of inspiration and truly is a must read. She's an extremely talented artist and more importantly a wonderfully kind soul.

I was so happy to be able to meet Lauren, even though I behaved like a giddy schoolgirl. I'm sure she understood! I get so excited when I see beautiful handmade goodies. I can't really explain why. I suppose it gives me a sense of security. That there are plenty of us flying the handmade flag and that I'm not alone (something that I feel sometimes living out here).

Anyways, have a look at her website. I'm sure you'll love it!

Have a lovely day, it's raining here at the moment and the smell of wet grass is flooding my playroom. Love it!

Alisa x

3 comments:

Tina said...

I love your gorgeous Wentworth!! I thought the name of the store was fantastic:) I am off to follow your links. Enjoy the rain and thanks for sharing your new little handmade friend. Have a wonderfull weekend Alisa ~ Tina x

Exquisite Accessories said...

Oh Wentworth is so cute what a great find I will be off to look at the links now, thanks for that :)

Kellie Collis said...

This is fabulous work!!